lunes, 5 de abril de 2010

The Restoration Project

Friday, March 19, 2010

So after a few days of spending every free minute catching up on lost time with the guitar, I discovered with the help of Jenni, where a good carpenter might be able to help me out. She actually stopped by and inquired as to whether or not he would be able to fix it. The wildly old bearded man was certain that he could fix it and when Jenni showed me where he was at the next day we agreed on a time to fix it. He explained to me what he could do and the process for it and all for an incredibly low price. We talked for quite some time about the wood, the process the guitar would go through, how it would affect sound, and then we talked about much more. We talked about the volunteer projects he was working on, the woodworking schools he put on for kids, the organization he was trying to form, the common earth that we all lived on. It’s amazing the connection you can make with an old woodworker in the depths of Guatemala.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Yesterday I was able to pick up my guitar. As Eduardo (the woodworker) promised the guitar was sealed back together as promised. There would be no more sound escaping from unwanted areas. I thanked him for his work and paid him the rest of the meager sum that he requested and wished that I had a whole other opportunity to just observe in his workshop and understand the trade and discipline of woodworking. There is so much in this life to be interested in. To be passionate about.

After I got the guitar home, Itook time cleaning it and putting the strings back on. When that process was done and finally got it tuned, I enjoyed the next 3 hours playing everything I knew. Life is always better with music. I’m glad my host family enjoys it as well, because my favorite place to play is just outside my room in the common area surrounded by the beautiful entangledment of flowers, bamboo and vines.

No hay comentarios: